Life of an average joe

These essays cover a tour in Afghanistan for the first seventeen letters home. For an overview of that tour, and thoughts on Iraq, essays #1, #2 and #17 should suffice. Staring with the eighteenth letter, I begin to recount -- hopefully in five hundred words -- some daily aspects of life in Mexico with the Peace Corps.



Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Letter 144: 25 APRIL; Australia's Decoration day; remembrance of dinghies past

There is nothing quite so perfect as a memory that really never was.
The mention of the seventy-fifth anniversary of the Battle of the Coral Sea (8 May 1942, A.M.D.G.) by Australian Prime Minister, Malcom Turnbull, conjures up pleasant memories of the twenty-fifth anniversary of that first allied victory in the Pacific that stemmed the Japanese blood-flow toward my favourite country on Earth. Peter Jones, my next door neighbour, and I 'pinched' his father's dinghy and rowed all the way across Sydney Harbour to Woolloomooloo to greet two of the three U.S. Navy ships in from Viêt Nam (or so I assumed): the carrier, U.S.S. Bennington, and the destroyer, the U.S.S. Emerson. 

The Yanks were friendly. I tried a head-fake on Peter to illustrate the metaphysical oddity of the International Date Line, when I asked a sailor aboard the Bennington what day it was. Expecting him to answer Saturday, as per the U.S., he said, in effect, "Sunday, of course." Rats. It was the trip back that was interesting, though we had seemingly and narrowly avoided getting rammed by a gigantic liner, 'The Empress of Australia' (supposedly a car-ferry) on the way over; I am sure that we were nowhere near the mighty vessel but the waves she left in her wake made me glad I had skipped breakfast for this episode of “Mission lmplausible”. 

Anyways, we were already past the Admiralty House, almost home when we rowed in front of this very large supply-ship, the U.S.S. Sacramento, said to be 75,000 tonnes. The junior officer on the bow was not impressed with my greetings, as I informed him I was from the great metropolis of Pittsburgh. He rather directly told Peter and me to get the Hell out of there, using words I would not utter for another two or three years. The Sacramento was pulling in, perpendicular, to some wharves to tie up and had to go into reverse to turn the vessel before she went aground and ended a Captain’s career.

Apparently doing so when the two wayward lads were in front of her, would have sucked us right under. Of course, as ten year olds, Peter and I had no idea of the hazards of life on the high seas. We should have noticed that the Harbour Police's P.T.-size boat was keeping its distance. Peter and I were dead, beat; we each took an oar and heaved ourselves away and then spelled each other rapidly, once away from the Sacramento. Getting bawled out had been unpleasant. Only later did my dad inform me of the danger faced sublimely; ignorance may or may not be bliss but it is less prone to panic.
For the twenty-seven years until his early demise, Dad loved to tell that story every once in a while. Apparently, the Sacramento was blowing her fog-horn or something. In telling the story, which accumulated interesting (if apocryphal) details as the years went by, Dad would add the flourish of the pulling-down gesture of a skipper honking loud and wide. That cloudy Sunday May morning in the Autumn of 1967, my father observed to my mother (who would be 87 years young today, as Bob Prince would say) that two kids were stuck in front of the big ship.  Then Dad realized who those two benighted souls were. 

My parents now got very worried; Mom exclaiming her concern and Dad, ever the engineer, focussed on what to do. Immediately, he notified Ray Jones, Peter's father. Well, obviously, Peter and I extricated ourselves from our unknown (if ever really extant) peril. Once ashore, Ray Jones subpoenaed Peter to return home immediately. Once in our flat, my mother kissed me, inexplicably, and my father really let me have it, equally inexplicably. Hey, I was just being patriotic, man! It made no sense, at first, except for the razzing received from my angelically diabolical little sister, Claire​. That was her standard operating seizure. How could God pair such a rancid tongue with so innocent a visage?

No comments:

Post a Comment